For lasting relief from PMS with a natural health program call Christine at Restore Nutrition or book an appointment online.
Do you experience mood swings, bloating, uncontrollable food cravings, irritability or irrational crying spells a week before your period starts?
Premenstrual syndrome, or PMS, refers to the range of physical and emotional symptoms that many women experience in the lead up to a period. Symptoms tend to resolve once the woman’s period begins and there is usually at least one symptom-free week before the symptoms return.
Treating the causes not the symptoms
The basic explanation for PMS is that our hormones – estrogen and progesterone are out of balance. However other hormones have a significant role to play as well. Our endocrine or hormone system is centered in the brain. The hypothalamus and pituitary glands work together and control the release of hormones around the body. This includes progesterone and estrogen as well as other major hormones such as cortisol, adrenalin, and insulin. If our hormones are out of balance in one area this can impact our other hormones.
So for example if you are highly stressed, your cortisol levels are likely to be increased. High levels of cortisol can affect progesterone levels and/or insulin production, which leads to symptoms such as increased mood swings, anxiety, and food cravings.
Root causes of PMS include:
- High estrogen-to-progesterone ratio
- Abnormal neurotransmitter response (occurring in the brain)
- Stress (causing increased cortisol)
- Carbohydrate metabolism
- Nutritional deficiencies
Natural medicine is able to assist the body back into balance to provide on-going relief from the symptoms of PMS
Natural medicine, dietary and lifestyle changes are more likely to give you lasting relief from PMS. Effective treatment of PMS depends on identifying the root cause and supporting the body in this area. Unfortunately, traditional treatment is usually aimed at symptoms rather than at the root cause, so treatment is only effective for a short period of time. The benefit of using natural treatment, such as herbs, minerals, vitamins, dietary and lifestyle changes is that symptoms are alleviated permanently because the body’s equilibrium is restored. This means that symptom-relief is not just temporary but long-lasting.
Common signs and symptoms of PMS include:
- Abnormal bloating and weight gain
- Breast swelling and tenderness
- Mood swings involving crying spells, irritability, and persistent anger. Depression and/or anxiety
- Fatigue often accompanied by insomnia
- Skin disorders (e.g., oily skin, hirsuitism, acne)
- Changes in appetite, including food cravings (e.g., chocolate) and overeating.
- Decreased or increased libido
- Headaches / migraines, backaches, and cramps
- Inability to concentrate, loss of interest in usual activities, and confusion.
- Weight gain from fluid retention
- Joint or muscle pain
- Digestive disturbances (e.g., constipation , diarrhea, nausea, etc)