The “Shake it” Professional Weight Management Program is an ideal way to reduce weight and achieve lasting results naturally. This program provides healthy food and can be tailored to your individual requirements to help you overcome obstacles to weight loss. Call Christine at Restore Nutrition to discuss a program for you or book online.
Obesity often precedes Type 2 Diabetes and it is recognized as a major risk factor in this disease. Weight control/loss and a few dietary changes may be all that is needed to reverse Type 2 diabetes or prevent its onset. It is important to slow the progress of Type 2 Diabetes in order to reduce the risk of developing chronic complications. These complications include ophthalmic, renal, neurological, cardiovascular and peripheral vascular diseases.
General Dietary Advice
- Reduce intake of refined carbohydrates (biscuits, cakes, pastries, sweets, ice cream etc) soft drinks and cordials. Follow a low GI food list
- Avoid harmful saturated fats such as deep fried foods. Use coconut oil, rice bran oil and cold pressed virgin olive oil in cooking. Also cold pressed flaxseed oil and olive oil and grape seed oil on salads.
- Increase intake of mucopolysaccharide foods. e.g. oats, okra, aloe vera and mussels for normalization of blood glucose and lipid levels.
- Eat five or six small meals a day for blood glucose control.
- Eat fish 2-4 times a weeks – cod, tuna, salmon and sardines for essential fatty acids.
- Test cholesterol levels regularly.
- Avoid nitrates as they may increase diabetes susceptibility (found in deli meats, sausages and smoked salmon)
- Increase fibre intake (plenty of vegetables, salads, wholegrains and legumes)
- A low carbohydrate diet will help to regulate blood sugar levels