Holistic, effective treatment strategies designed to help restore your mental health are available to help you regain your mental and emotional health at Restore Nutrition. Please call Christine and ask about our “Stress Less” program or book online.
Mental Health – Anxiety, Depression and Stress
Life’s too short not to be happy!
Life presents us with an abundance of joys, and yet many individuals are not able to fully enjoy life’s pleasures due to disturbances in their neurobiology, causing feelings such as anxiety and depression. The reality is that individuals who have these disturbances are often unable to live their life to its fullest potential.
There is mounting evidence to suggest that many mental health disorders do not originate in the brain, but instead have their origin in physiological, biochemical disturbances. Physiological factors such as inflammation, stress, energy depletion, poor sleep, nutrient deficiencies, toxicity, leaky gut and/or bacterial imbalance in the gut may all contribute to a disturbed brain chemistry. Support of mental and emotional health, therefore, requires support of physiological health.
Symptoms that point towards a mental health disorder are:
Muscle tension, Tachycardia, Hypervigilance, Dyspnoea, Dizziness/near-syncope, Palpitations, Trembling, Sweating, Feelings of unreality, Fatigue, Impaired concentration, Irritability, Excessive worry/sense of impending doom, Sighing respiration, Sleep disturbances
- Insomnia (especially early morning awakening) or hypersomnia. Sleep disturbance is experienced by at least 90% of depressed patients; some data suggest that early treatment of sleep disorders prevents later development of depression.
- Significant change in appetite and/or either weight loss or weight gain .
- Fatigue and loss of energy.
- Feelings of worthlessness, self-reproach, inappropriate guilt.
- Extremely poor concentration.
- Either feelings of agitation, restlessness, and irritability or near complete inactivity and withdrawal.
- Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide.
- Feelings of hopelessness.
Natural medicine to restore mental and emotional health
Stress Less program
This holistic program systematically addresses the drivers associated with mental illnesses, such as depression, anxiety and psychiatric diseases. The Stress Less program incorporates dietary and lifestyle advice alongside tailored prescriptions of herbal and nutritional recommendations to restore balance to patients’ brain chemistry to support emotional well-being and mental health.
Dietary and Lifestyle Advice
- Counselling may assist in restoring self-esteem, problem solving, and coping with life stresses.
- Regular exercise is crucial for managing depression.
- Yoga, Tai Chi or other relaxing activities may be useful.
- Recreational drugs should be avoided as they can aggravate symptoms and interfere with medications.
- Patients should avoid stressors, namely coffee, cola and other caffeinated drinks.
- Complex carbohydrates such as brown rice and whole grains should be chosen over white refined carbohydrate foods to avoid low blood sugar, as this can trigger stress.
- Include protein in all meals and snacks to provide essential amino acids for healthy brain function
- Foods high in magnesium, such as green vegetables and nuts are recommended.
- Small, regular meals help to regulate blood sugar.
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption.
- Consume oily fish in the diet 3-4 times per week to boost essential omega 3 fatty acids.
- Avoid known food allergens.